RENEW EARLY TO SAVE TIME AND MONEY!
Make your recertification process a seamless transition, save money by recertifying within the 90 day timeline – lessen your stress!
All certifications must be renewed prior to their expiry.
You need to meet three requirements annually:
- Professional canfitpro membership
- Four (4.0) Continuing Education Credits (CECs) issued within the last year
- CPR A issued within the last year (obtained during a live course)
Why & How to Recertify
As a fitness professional your certification is the backbone to your career. Recertifying on time every year ensures that you will always have an up to date copy of your certification to display, provide to employers, and show clients. A valid certification creates more opportunities for you in terms of employment, promotions, client retention and your personal integrity. It shows your commitment to ongoing education and your dedication to staying in the know with the ever changing fitness industry. A valid certification is also required for liability insurance.
Adequate CECs, membership renewal and current CPR (obtained during a live course within the last year) are required to maintain an active certification status. We are committed to helping you stay certified.
- If you miss your recertification date and are within one month of your expiration date we will allow you to submit all of your requirements within that month. You will be charged a $20 (+ applicable taxes) fee.
- If you have missed your recertification by more than one (1) month and less than one (1) year, you are able to reinstate your certification by completing a Practical Exam with a PRO TRAINER (live assessment of your knowledge and skills put into practice) and maintain your original certification date. Membership and CPR must be up to date before a new certificate will be issued. A fee of $99 (+ applicable tax) will be required.
- If you have been expired for more than one (1) year you will be required to complete both the theory and practical exams again, your certification date will be adjusted to reflect the new date.
Please note extension fees and reinstatement fees are non-refundable.
We track all your conference activities with us and keep a record of all the CECs you have accumulated. When a Recertification notice is sent to you, all you have to do is confirm the number of CECs we have recorded for each of your certifications. If you have enough CECs to renew, simply renew your annual membership and send us a photocopy of your current CPR (obtained during a live course within the last year).
When the proper Recertification documentation has been received and processed by canfitpro, your new membership card and certificate will be available to print from your online Member Profile within 24 hours.
There are many ways to earn your annual CECs. To find out all of the different ways please check out one of the menus below:
•canfitpro Approved CECs
•Non-canfitpro Approved CECs
Please note: canfitpro evaluates the content and duration of the course to assign appropriate CECs. CEC calculations are as follows: one CEC for every two educational hours, to a maximum of 4 CECs. CEC assignment is based on the content delivered and its specific application to the certification(s). For example, for a course to receive PFS CECs, the content must include information as it relates to modifications or considerations for a pre or post natal client. If you hold more than one certification, ex. PTS and FIS, and you attend education that is approved for PTS and FIS credits, you will earn the specified amount of CECs towards both certifications.
canfitpro Academy & Events
Attendance at canfitpro events and workshops are the most common methods of achieving the required CECs. Experience a variety of education from world-class presenters in a variety of locations and settings.
Click here to view upcoming events near you.
Furthering your education with canfitpro earns you CECs! canfitpro offers a variety of live,online and blended learning opportunities for you to take advantage of. To get more details on the various programs, or to register please visit:
- Healthy Eating and Weight Loss (HWL) – 4 PTS, FIS
canfitpro Educational Opportunities:
- Online Certificate& Education
- Live Education
- Education Partners
External Educational Events
canfitpro does accredit external events for CECs. These events are accredited upon successful submission of an application by the event provider, presenter or organizer. CECs are assigned based on educational the length and content of the event following the same criteria that canfitpro delivered education is assigned CECs. Please ensure to check with the event organizer/provider or canfitpro prior to registering to ensure that CECs are applicable.
Are you interested in offering CECs for your courses or training? Click here to download the CEC Provider Information Package and find out how to apply to become a CEC Provider with canfitpro. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and application forms.
Certification in the fitness industry requires all fitness professionals to attend educational events that help them maintain, update and add new information to their knowledge and skill sets. If you attended an event that was not accredited by canfitpro and wish to gain recognition for these CECs, please read below:
The event/courses being considered for CECs must be directly related to the candidate’s fitness profession and educational growth in the professional fitness industry. Master classes and workouts are not eligible for CECs.
List of qualifying CEC events:
- Participation in educational workshops, lectures, conferences or correspondence programs on topics relevant to the health and fitness field.
- Participation in college or university courses on topics relevant to the health and fitness field. Courses that are acceptable (but are not limited to): Biology, Chemistry, Kinesiology, Physiology, Anatomy, Exercise Science, and Nutrition. All course work and final examinations must be successfully completed before your re-certification date.
- Published works in which the candidate serves as author/co-author.
CEC Event Information
Full documentation detailing the event being considered for CECs must be submitted with the CEC Recognition Request Form. Documentation should include (where applicable) a certificate or letter of participation/attendance, event description, official school transcripts and a copy of published works.
It is a cost of $12 per CEC (plus applicable taxes), up to a maximum number of 4.0 CECs per request (1.0 CEC per each 2 contact hours). If an event is accredited for more than one certification designation (i.e. FIS and PTS), then there is no additional charge for multiple designations CECs. Please note that only a maximum of 4.0 CECs will be accredited for a one (1) year period. CECs added through the CEC Recognition process can be carried over into the next recertification period, up to a maximum of 4.0 CECs will be carried forward.
To download a copy of the CEC Request Form click below.