“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” You’ve probably heard this before and it is for a good reason, we are “breaking the fast”.
Over night our bodies undergo a fasting period of 8-12 hours, and for this reason alone we want to be mindful of what goes in, especially first thing in the morning when we are breaking this fast.
The goal is to nourish the digestive system and maintain sustainable energy levels throughout the day.
- ¼ Cup Oats or any other Whole Grain
- 2 TBS Ground Flax Seeds
- Flax Seeds contain lignans known to regulate hormones, high in Omega3, and a good source of fiber
- 1 TBS Greek Yogurt (I used plain), or Vegetarian Options
- ½ -1 Cup Almond Milk or other Nut Milk
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Known to balance blood sugar levels, lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and a good antioxidant source
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (whey or vegetarian)
- 1 Apple and Blackberries
- Apples contain pectin and quercetin that are great for your digestive system and skin; blackberries are a great source of antioxidants
Once you’ve prepared the grains stir in the almond milk, cinnamon, protein, and flax seeds. Mix well, add the Greek yogurt and fruit. Enjoy!
Holistic Nutritionist Student Practitioner