Fitness Instructor Specialist
To view dates & locations, or to register now, click the link below.Find a course near you!
A demonstration of the leadership, motivation and practical training required for group exercise instructors who wish to train to develop a safe and effective exercise class.
The role of a Fitness Instructor Specialist has evolved far beyond being a basic “aerobic instructor”. As a group exercise expert, you will assist club members in a fun and motivating setting. A qualified Fitness Instructor Specialist can lead groups in various formats of cardiovascular conditioning, muscle strength and endurance training, stretching and relaxation, or a calming cool-down. A canfitpro certified FIS is knowledgeable about different types of music, understands how to use music in a group setting, keeps current on the latest fitness trends and is able to give generalized advice about healthy living.
The Fitness Instructor Specialist Course
This is a comprehensive 25-hour course that will increase your knowledge and confidence level to lead a group fitness class to music.
- Aspects of fitness, wellness and basic training principles
- Fitness theory: skeletal, muscular, neurological, cardiovascular and pulmonary systems
- Kinesiology/anatomy in action and bioenergetics
- Components of a fitness class from the warm-up to the cool-down
- Musicality: phrasing, cueing and appropriate music selection
- Leadership and motivation skills
- Special populations and injuries
The Fitness Instructor Specialist Course Manual
canfitpro has worked with two of Canada’s top fitness professionals to develop an excellent manual to be used for the Fitness Instructor Specialist course and exam. Complete with informative diagrams and charts, the manual is a comprehensive yet manageable amount of information that is written in an easy to understand format.
The Fitness Instructor Specialist Exam
We recommend that candidates attempt the exam approximately three (3) weeks after taking the course. This time frame is recommended in order to allow candidates to properly prepare for the exam. Those who choose the option to progress and become a certified Fitness Instructor Specialist will complete a theory and a practical exam. These two components assess the candidate’s knowledge, teaching ability, and skills to lead a safe and fun fitness class. The theory exam consists of 75 multiple choice questions and short answer questions. The practical exam is an actual fitness class demonstration evaluated by your PRO TRAINER.
A Certified Fitness Instructor Specialist Provides:
- A dynamic fitness class that is safe and fun to join
- Exercise modifications for various levels of participants
- A motivational exercise environment
- A variety of class formats (step, low impact, boxing, muscle conditioning)
- Effective exercise demonstration and instruction
- Support and encouragement for all participants
A canfitpro certified Fitness Instructor Specialist is qualified to:
- Evaluate participant needs in physical activity based on the philosophies in the Fitness Instructor Specialist program.
- Create an exciting exercise environment for participants and lead group fitness classes using music.
- Confirm that participants have completed the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q developed by Health Canada), and then provide a group exercise class to apparently healthy individuals who have no known major medical conditions.
- Monitor group fitness class participants on intensity, technique and safety to meet their needs appropriately during each class.
- Teach within their level of ability and progress to more advanced or specialized class formats once competency to teach the required skills safely is achieved.
- Promote the benefits of regular physical activity and a balanced lifestyle combined with a healthy diet using Canada’s Physical Activity Guide as a reference.
- Provide generalized advice on nutrition based on Canada’s Food Guide. Individuals who require more specific advice on diet and supplements must be referred to a qualified nutrition professional.
- Answer general questions for participants on injuries or discomforts related to exercise. All injuries must be diagnosed and treated by a qualified medical professional.
- Provide emergency care based on the participant needs (contact EMS, provide Emergency First Aid or CPR).
As a certified Fitness Instructor, I agree to provide a safe and effective group exercise class that provides appropriate exercise selection and intensity to meet the individual needs of each adult in the group.
As a certified Fitness Instructor Specialist (FIS), I agree to respect my role, abide by the Code of Ethics and work within my Standards of Practice at all times.
I recognize that failure to follow this Standards of Practice will result in immediate removal of my FIS certification designation.SIGN UP NOW!
|Early Bird Member Rate*||Regular Member Rate||Early Bird Non-Member Rate*||Regular Non-Member Rate|
*Early Bird Rates apply to registrations received more than three (3) weeks prior to the scheduled start date of the event.
**The Non-Member Rates include a one-year canfitpro Professional membership.
|Early Bird Member Rate||Regular Member Rate||Early Bird Non-Member Rate||Regular Non-Member Rate|
|Exam Rewrite (Theory or Practical)|
|Express Shipping||$25 – arrives within three (3) to four (4) business days|
|Regular Shipping||No charge – may take up to 10 business days to arrive|